Friday, March 6, 2009

Feeding the Ego

I have been pondering a lot lately why we as humans find gratification in popularity. I understand that we all desire to be liked, but should we really define our worth by the amount of views our blog gets, how many people follow us on twitter, or how many facebook friends we have? I think it all comes down to intent. Are we writing our blogs so that people will read them and stroke our ego? Or are we writing our blogs to share with people what we are passionate about, and to offer incite to others? I think it is a fine line. Now I'm not here to criticize anyone in particular, but at the end of the day all we are is writers. We as bloggers allow other people into our every day life. Just because you start a blog it doesn't mean you are interesting, and it doesn't mean that you deserve your own reality show. If a blogger has a thousand hits a day on his/her blog, congratulations. What are you doing with that? Are you making people aware of social issues? Are you encouraging people? Are you bettering your readers way of thinking? It is an opportunity to help people expand their minds, not for us to expand our inflated heads. Use your blog as a tool of awareness. Yes, it is a place to express your opinions and rant about anything you feel a need to, but it is not a place to makeup for your high school years of being an absolute tool. Do not try to make up for your lack of high school glory days by becoming a "power player" in the blog scene. Chances are- you are still socially awkward. Sorry about this rant. Needed to get it off my chest.
This type of blogging is not my forte. I usually write about entertainment issues. That is what I love to write about, but this has been on my mind for a while and I had to get it out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great post! I appreciate you being honest and straight forward. I need to get back to something with a little more meaning on my page.

Rob